Doug Ford has cut testing for children and child care workers creating a huge strain in the child care sector.
If a child has a symptom, the entire family must isolate regardless of whether they have COVID-19 or not, making it untenable for working parents and impacting livelihoods, especially without paid sick days or income supports. Without testing, parents are also scrambling and having to make tough decisions without information.
Child care workers work with kids who cannot be vaccinated and are unable to keep a mask on. They deserve access to testing to keep themselves and their families safe.
Child care centres are already dealing with staffing shortage and testing helps ensure that centres are not forced to close.
Bhutila Karpoche and the NDP are urging the Ford government to immediately provide:
- A ramp-up of PCR COVID testing, and allow children and child care workers to get COVID-19 tests
- Access to free rapid tests for early years and child care workers, and children in child care
- Paid sick days and family care days
- High-quality, free PPE for all frontline workers, including N95s
- Offer in-school vaccine clinics, open to families in child care in the catchment
Add your name to demand Doug Ford reinstate PCR testing for kids and workers in child care.